Saturday, April 16, 2016, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Mary Queen Earth Day
Saturday, April 16th
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Pope Francis has inspired us all with his encyclical "Laudato Si", calling for all Catholics to reduce consumption, make more sustainable choices and help preserve the Planet Earth for future generations. We should all strive to be good stewards of God's creation.
The Sustainability Ministry is sponsoring the first Annual Mary Queen Earth Day Celebration. This year's theme is "Mercy for Mother Earth". This is an event for the entire family! Rain or shine, the event will take place. Snacks and beverages provided.
A Walkathon for all age groups, all are welcome to participate, no minimum requirement for distance. Ask your family and friends to sponsor you and help raise money for our Parish's Sustainability efforts! Entry forms are located in the Narthex and on the information table in the Parish Center.
Youth Art-Essay Contest. The contest has two divisions: 6th - 8th grade and 9th - 12th grade. The first prize for each division is a $125.00 gift card. Entry forms and guidelines may be found in the Narthex and on the information table in the Parish Center. The winners will be announced on Saturday, April 16th at 10:00 AM. All entries will be on display the day of the event.
Sustainability Education Tables:
- Solar energy exhibit, with a working solar panel.
- Recycling, with examples of more sustainable cups, plates and utensils.
- Sustainable seafood, with information about making wiser choices.
- Endangered animals exhibit, with information about species in danger of extinction.
- Tropical rain forest, with an eight foot blow-gun used by Amazon natives to hunt for food.
- Being more sustainable at home, with Tips on how to save the planet every day!
This promises to be a very informative and special event ! Come join in the fun!